Tooth injury and tooth loss happen all the time. Dental implants in Colombia can offer you a permanent tooth loss solution. It is one of the top dental tourism destinations in Latin America for low-cost & high-quality dentistry.CNBC Dental tourism in Latin America: 5 top countries for high quality care at low cost “…the top five Latin American countries where countless expats—including some of our correspondents—are taking advantage of inexpensive, high-quality dental care…Colombia..” View in Article
Video Courtesy: The Travel Bible
Located in the north of South America, Colombia is well-known for its natural beauty and cultural heritage.Oxford Business Group Colombia’s new tourism infrastructure and sustained peace fuel growth in tourist numbers “Over the past decade and a half the long-kept secret of Colombia’s cultural heritage and natural beauty has spread throughout the international tourism circuit.” View in Article With accredited hospitals & skilled doctors, Colombia is an excellent option for Americans & Canadians seeking quality dental work at an affordable cost.PRLog Affordable Dental work in Colombia Launched by US Based MTC “… accredited hospitals and experienced doctors, it promises a bright future for the medical tourism industry as well. This country is an excellent option for people, especially Americans and Canadians, who want quality dental work at an affordable cost.” View in Article
Colombia is the world’s second-most biodiverse country. It accounts for around 5% of the global medical tourism market.Oxford Business Group Colombia’s new tourism infrastructure and sustained peace fuel growth in tourist numbers “Colombia is the world’s second-most biodiverse country, with 10% of the entire planet’s biodiversity… . Colombia accounts for around 5% of the global medical tourism market and hopes to increase this up to 30% by 2032” View in Article
Why Choose Dental Implants in Colombia, South America?
Best Health Care | Affordable | Convenient
DentaVacation facilitates dental tourism in Colombia with dental clinics in Medellin, Bogota, Cartagena, Barranquilla, and Cali. Some of the key reasons to opt for dental implants in Colombia include:
High-quality Affordable Dental Implants
- Dental implants are 70% cheaper than in the US or Canada. (cost table)
- Treatment by highly trained & experienced dentists
- Reputed Implant brands like Straumann, Neodent, and BioHorizons
- Treatments with state-of-the-art-facilities at recommended clinics
Best Health Care System
- Colombia has one of the best healthcare in the worldInternational Living 5 Countries with the Best Healthcare in the World “The five countries that scored the highest marks for Best Healthcare in the World in this year’s Annual Global Retirement Index are…#4 Colombia…” View in Article
- 40% of the best Latin American hospitals are in ColombiaInternational Living 5 Countries with the Best Healthcare in the World “…That means that 40% of the top Latin American hospitals are located in Colombia.” View in Article
- WHO ranks Colombia’s health system higher than Canada and the USWHO MEASURING OVERALL HEALTH SYSTEM PERFORMANCE FOR 191 COUNTRIES “World Health Organization ranked the healthcare systems of 191 countries, Colombia came in at #22. That is better than Canada (#30) and the United States (#37)” View in Article
- This level of quality applies to Colombia’s dental care as well
- Colombia is easily accessible from major cities in the USA and Canada
- Cities like Bogota and Barranquilla can be reached in approx. 3 hours from Miami, Florida and nearly 8 hours from Toronto
- Colombia’s cost of living is the lowest in South AmericaCNBC Of all the best places to retire in the world … none are in the US “What’s more, Colombia boasts beautiful areas where the cost of living is the lowest you’ll find anywhere in South America.” View in Article, helping a low budget trip
- Colombia is the 6th friendliest country in the world – InterNations surveyInterNations Warm Welcome or Cold Shoulder? Where Expats (Don’t) Feel at Home “InterNations – Full Ranking – Friendliness – #6 Colombia; Finding friends – #9 Colombia” View in Article
Plenty of Tourism Options
- Colombia is one of the trending destinations for tourism in 2020USTOA USTOA TOUR OPERATOR MEMBERS REVEAL TOP TRAVEL TRENDS FOR 2020 “In this year’s survey, Egypt, Croatia and Colombia tied as the top emerging or “off-the-beaten-path” destination for 2020.” View in Article
- There are 9 World Heritage sites in ColombiaUNESCO WHC Colombia – Properties inscribed on the World Heritage List (9) “Cultural (6), Natural (2), Mixed (1)” View in Article
- Exciting locations – Andean mountains, the Amazon jungle & Caribbean islands
- Also, Colombia has the world’s highest number of bird speciesWashington Post Why your next vacation should be in Colombia “Colombia is the only South American country with coastlines on the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea. It also has the world’s highest number of bird species, clocking in at nearly 2,000.” View in Article
Dental Implant Cost in Different Countries
The graph compares the dental implant price of Colombia with that of the US, Canada, Germany, and the UK.
Reference: Web data/ different native clinics
As seen in the graph, the price of a dental implant in Colombia is a quarter of Germany/ UK’s price and almost 1/6th of the price in the US /Canada.
Cost of Dental Implants in Colombia
Dental care in Colombia provides quality work at affordable rates. To know how cheap are the dental implants in Colombia compared to the US & Canada, see the cost table below
Dental Work Avg. Cost Comparison (USD)
|Mini dental implants||$1,500||$1,350||$110|
|Full Denture (full arch)||$2,000||$1,840||$800|
|Bone graft (full arch)||$3,000||$2,700||$1,600|
*Price may change with the complexity of a case
A single dental implant procedure (implant, abutment & crown) is b/w $5,000 – $8,000 in US/ Canada while it is b/w $900 – $1,500 in Colombia. Even, mini implants are as low as $110 in Colombia.
You can also notice in the table above, dental work in Colombia is up to 70% cheaper compared to US/ Canadian prices. While a single implant offers up to 75% savings, with full mouth restorations you can save as much as 67% over the US/ Canada’s price.
These prices are highly beneficial for those without dental insurance. Even for those with insurance, the savings are substantial. Some of the clinics accept dental insurance and can help with insurance paperwork.
Dental Options to Fix Missing Tooth
Your dentist can review options with you to select the right treatment. For extensive tooth loss, patients consider dentures or implant options. Below are the top three options used to fix missing teeth:
Option 1: Dentures
Dentures are false teeth that can replace missing teeth.
|Fact: Around 90% of edentulous people in the US wear dentures. It is predicted that around 15% of the edentulous population has dentures made each year.ACP Facts & Figures “90 percent of those who suffer from edentulism have dentures….About 15 percent of the edentulous population has dentures made each year…” View in Article|
Option 2: Dental Bridges
Artificial teeth are fused to a metal frame to bridge the gap between missing teeth.
|Fact: More than 15 million Americans undergo crown and bridge replacements for missing teeth every yearGrand View Research Dental Implants Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Type (Titanium, Zirconium), By Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, MEA), And Segment Forecasts, 2020 – 2027 “…over 15 million people in the U.S. undergo bridge and crown replacements for missing teeth every year, thus facilitating the demand for dental implants” View in Article|
Option 3: Dental Implants
Screw-like metal post surgically attached to the jawbone where it acts as a “root” for dentures, partial dentures, or crowns.
|Fact: 3 million Americans have implants. More than 500,000 dental implants are placed annually in the U.S.AAID What are dental Implants? “3 million people in the United States have implants, a number that is growing by 500,000 annually” View in Article|
Your dentist can advise on a suitable option after considering the state of your teeth, gums, and jawbone, as well as your overall health.
Dental Implants vs Alternative Treatments
Compare the options and see why would a patient choose dental implants over other possible treatments.
During 2019-2020, dental implant procedures have increased by 6.3% in the US. It is expected to increase by 23% from 2020 – 2026Trend Statistics Dental Implants Statistics 2019-2020 “Dental implant procedures increased 6.3% 2019-2020… Total number of dental implants to increase by 23% from 2020-2026.” View in Article
Tooth-supported Bridge Demerits over Implants
- It is a common alternative to dental implants for a single tooth
- Involve grinding away adjacent teeth that attach and support the bridge
- The bone below the bridge may deteriorate over time
- Generally, bridges fail after 5-10 years because of difficulty in flossingAAID Implants versus dentures and bridges “Bridges generally fail after 5-10 years because patient have difficulty flossing them, which makes the root surfaces below and around the bridgework highly susceptible to decay.” View in Article
- Root surfaces around the bridgework are highly susceptible to decay
Complete Dentures Demerits over Implants
- Rest on the gum tissue and don’t require grinding down adjacent teeth
- Not stable or comfortable as dental implants. It can affect speech & eating
- Doesn’t look natural or function like implant-supported crowns
- Removed regularly for cleaning can be time-consuming
- The bone underneath the full denture may deteriorate over time
- Survival time: 7-15 years, the replacement costs can be more over the long termAAID Implants versus dentures and bridges “…while the initial costs are low, they only last an average of 7 to 15 years, and the replacement costs can be significant over the long term…” View in Article
Benefits of Dental Implants
- Restore your smile
- Retain the natural shape of your face
- Easier eating
- No embarrassing slippage
- Improves the health of gums
- Prevents bone loss
- Preserve natural tooth tissue
- Restore jawbone structure
- Also called the Implant-supported dentures or Overdentures
- These are removable crowns that snap on & off of surgically inserted implants in bone
- Improve chewing function better than full dentures
- Implants make the denture stable and help to reduce bone loss
- Unlike traditional dentures, snap-on dentures do not slide around or become loose
Dental Implant Options in Colombia
|A single implant and a crown can replace a single missing tooth. The structure includes:
|An Implant-supported restoration can replace multiple missing teeth. Restoration may be:
|Full Arch/ Full Jaw Implants|
|A full mouth restoration can fix all missing teeth on a jaw. The technique used can be:
Full Mouth Rehabilitation / Restoration Techniques
Depending on your jawbone health and specific needs, your Implantologist may suggest any one of the below techniques for full mouth reconstruction
- All-on-4 Implants
This technique provides a whole new set of teeth using 4 implants per arch. It is designed to accommodate a full arch of 12-14 prosthetic teeth.
- All-on-6/8 Implants
In this procedure, 6 or 8 implants are inserted into the jawbone for full-arch restoration.
Dental Implant Procedure in Colombia
Before starting the procedure, your dentist will perform a full mouth clinical and radiographic examination. They will check your gums, teeth (treat any existing tooth decay), and jawbone density.
If your jawbone density is low, some additional procedures like bone graft and sinus lift will be performed. After rebuilding the bone, the dental implant procedure will be carried out. The dental implant procedure has 3 parts
- Implant placement
- Healing period
- Crown/ Denture placement
Depending on your jawbone health and dentist’s choice, you can have 2 possibilities as shown below
Video courtesy – 1888implant.com
Video courtesy – 1888implant.com
Types of Implants | Bone Involved
|Endosteal||Need healthy jawbone||Into the jawbone|
|Subperiosteal||Do need a healthy jawbone||Top of the jawbone|
|Zygomatic||Do need a healthy jawbone||In the cheekbone|
Types of Implants | Material Used
|Esthetics||Greyish color||Natural tooth color|
|Design||Two-piece implant||Mostly single piece|
|Surgical approach||1 or more surgeries||1 surgery|
|Endurance||Strong and fracture resistance||Prone to microfractures|
|Allergies||Chances of metal allergy||Hypoallergenic|
Reference- Symbiosis Zirconia Vs Titanium Implants – Deciding Factors “When Zirconia Is Adjusted, Micro Cracks Form And Can Cause Fractures… Majority of Zirconia dental implants may not heal under the gums due to their “one-piece” design…” View in Article, Nobel Biocare Ceramic vs. titanium implants: When to choose which? “Allergy or hypersensitivity is sometimes posed as a drawback for titanium implants…it is advisable to refer them to an allergist, and to act with caution in informing the patient that it is the definitive reason for placing a zirconia instead of titanium implant” View in Article
Best Clinic for Dental Implants in Colombia
DentaVacation works with well-established dental clinics in Colombia. Our partner clinics provide a comprehensive range of dental services, from restorative crown and bridgework to affordable dental implants.
Dental Implants in Medellin, Colombia
Oralimagen dental clinic in Medellin offers safe and high-quality services to both local and international patients.
- 5.0 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ | Google reviews
- Located 26 min from the Airport (MDE)
- State-of-the-art facilities
- Sterilization of equipment with a traceability system
- Dental implant brands – BioHorizons and Straumann
- Staff can speak English & Spanish
Dental Implants in Cartagena, Colombia
DentaVacation recommends two clinics in Cartagena. Both clinics provide an extensive range of high-quality dental care to local and international patients.
- 5.0 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ | Google reviews
- Located 14 min from Airport (CTG)
- Make use of the latest German CEREC technology
- Adopt sterilization protocols set-up for the medicare industry
- Belongs to the Odontological sector with 1999 CO (Certificate of Origin) certification over 17 years of experience
- 5.0 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ | Google reviews
- Located 12 min from the Airport (CTG)
- Equipped with state-of-the-art therapeutic and diagnostic technologies
- Guarantee terms – 4 years for crowns & 2 years for veneers
- Dental implant brands – Straumann
- Staff can speak English & Spanish
Dental Implants in Bogota, Colombia
Dentica dental clinic provides a comprehensive range of dental care to local and international patients. The team has extensive experience across a range of general and specialist dental areas.
- 4.9 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ | Google reviews
- Located 21 min from the airport (BOG)
- Make use of state-of-the-art technology and stays upgraded
- Sterilization – Ultrasonic machine and Autoclave
- Dental implant brands – Straumann, Neodent
- The staff can speak Spanish, English, French, German, and Portuguese
Dental Implants in Barranquilla, Colombia
Carlos Acevedo Odontología dental clinic in Barranquilla has a multidisciplinary team of highly-skilled and qualified professionals. The clinic offers general and specialist dental care, including orthodontics, endodontics, oral rehabilitation, and periodontics.
- 4.8 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ | Google reviews
- Located 29 min from the airport (BAQ)
- Personalized dental care with State-of-the-art technology
- Guarantee terms – 5 years for implant surgery, crowns, porcelain veneers
- Staff can speak English, Spanish, and Portuguese
Dental Implants in Cali, Colombia
Estetica Dental Avanzada is the advanced dental Aesthetics and Implant Center located in Cali, Colombia. The team has extensive experience in dental implants, oral rehabilitation, and dental aesthetics.
- 4.8 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ | Google reviews
- Located 31 min from the airport (CLO)
- Accreditations – Zimmer Biomet Dental Education Program & American Dental Association
- A dedicated department to assist international patients
- Dental implant brands – Straumann, Cortex, and Neodent
- Staff can speak English, French, and Spanish
- Adhere to Biosecurity protocol
Sanitization at our Clinic
Best Dentist in Colombia, South America
The dentists working with DentaVacation are certified and highly qualified. Get to know our partner dentists below.
|Dental Specialist||Skill Set|
|Dentist in Medellin, Colombia|
Dr. Camilo Correa
|Dentists in Cartagena, Colombia|
Dr. Julio Oliver
Dr. Jairo Montoya
|Dentist in Bogota, Colombia|
Dr. Cristina Suaza
|Dentist in Barranquilla, Colombia|
Dr. Carlos Acevedo
|Dentist in Cali, Colombia|
Dr. Juan F. Uribe
• ADA – American Dental Association • FOC – Colombian Odontological Federation • ACPO – Colombian Association of Periodontology and Osseointegration • ACOED – Colombian Association of Esthetic and Digital Dentistry • ITI – International Team of Implantology • ACCOMF – Colombian Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery • AOCMF – Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
“Before I never smiled at all… this is improved my confidence tremendously, I think personally & professionally I’m going to have a better life from now on..” -Australian patient
“You need to come here to Dr.Johana because it would change their life. I didn’t have teeth like about 9 months ago everything out & look at me now thank you very much” -David
Frequently Asked Questions Implants in Colombia (FAQs)
At the best clinics, the quality of dental implants in Colombia is excellent and affordable. DentaVacation can help you find a reliable facility in the destination of your choice. To know more, fill out the request form or contact us for a free quote.