Cartagena or “Cartagena de Indias” is located in Colombia. People looking for affordable dental work overseas should consider dental implants in Cartagena.
Video Courtesy: GetUp&Go Films
Cartagena has it all to serve your mouth. From quality dental work to relishing cuisines. The seafood dishes accompanied by fried plantain and coconut rice are a must-try!Life Persona Typical Food of Cartagena “…dishes such as coconut rice, fried fish and desserts such as coconut pie. In this gastronomy, you can appreciate the Spanish, Indian and African influences.” View in Article
Cost of Dental Implants in Cartagena
Patients can get dental implants for less than half the cost back home. Compare the avg. cost of dental implants in Canada vs. US vs. Cartagena in the table below:
|Bone graft (full arch)||$2,500||$2,400||$1,125|
|Bone graft (per quadrant)||$1,100||$1,100||$650|
|Bone graft (per unit)||$600||$550||$375|
*Price may vary with each case
As seen in the table, a single dental implant alone saves as much as 58%. Even the full-mouth restorations, such as All on 4 is at least 65% cheaper.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are structures that serve as an artificial and safe replacement for the tooth root. Dentists who specialize in implant dentistry are known as Implantologists.
There’s much to the details of implantology; however, some knowledge of structure, material, and type of implants can be of great use to the patient as well:
1. Dental Implant Structure
Three standard parts of an Implant are Crown, Abutment, and Fixture. (see image)
‘Screw’ is a term often used in the relative context. It is essentially a fixture designed like a screw.
The crown is tailor-made to match the color of your permanent teeth and fit your mouth.
2. Dental Implant Material
Titanium and zirconia are the two most common kinds of dental implant materials.Nobelbiocare The development of dental implant materials “The osseointegrative properties of titanium, the metal has set the standard for dental implant materials. In recent years, however, increasing patient demand for more natural esthetics has seen ceramic materials like zirconia become a popular alternative.” View in Article
Titanium Dental Implants
- Metal used: Titanium alloy, a combination of metals.
- Structure: Two pieces, a screw & an abutment.
Benefits of Titanium Dental Implants:
Zirconia Dental Implants
- Material: Zirconium dioxide, a non-metal or ceramic alternative.
- Structure: One-piece implant, fused screw & abutment.
Benefits of Titanium Dental Implants:
- Lower risk of gum infection
- No risk of a metal allergy
- Shorter surgery
3. Dental Implants Types
Dental implants are available in different materials, heights, and sizes. Depending on your specific needs, your dentist can help you determine which option will work for you.
Based on the location where a dentist fixes the implant, they can be of two typesHealthline Endosteal implants versus subperiosteal implants “Endosteal…placed in the jawbone. Subperiosteal. If you need dental implants but you don’t have enough healthy jawbone to support them…placed on or above the jawbone and under the gum.” View in Article:
- Location: Under your gum but above or on your jawbone.
- Possible Candidate: People who don’t have a sufficient healthy jawbone. Also, people cannot undergo a bone augmentation procedure.
- Location: Inside the Jawbone
- Possible Candidate: People with a naturally healthy ridge. Also, those who can undergo a bone augmentation procedure to reconstruct it.
Fixing Dental Implants: The procedure
Your dentist will develop an individualized treatment plan that will address your specific requirements.
Step 1: Preparation
The dentist will carry out a comprehensive examination of your mouth. He will take radiographs of your jaws to analyze your bone tissue’s condition and shape. It’s to find the positions of essential structures, such as nerves, which may be near the intended implant site.
Step 2: Initiating Surgery
Incision & drill
Your dentist will make a small incision in the gum to reveal the bone and shape the implant site using a drill.
He will then fit the dental implant into the prepared bone and place a healing cap over it.
Step 3: Rest/ Healing break
The Implant site may take three months or longer to heal. The implant can fuse with the patient’s jawbone in anytime between three and six months.
Step 4: Dental Restorations
Some patients may require a second minor surgery. The dentist will trim the gum tissue and expose the implant’s cap.
After three months (approx.), the dentist will replace the healing cap with the abutment. It takes the form of a post and core. From here, the gums will take about six weeks to heal completely.
Placing Crown/ Denture
Once the gums heal entirely, a dentist will take impressions of your mouth to prepare a model of your teeth. He will then attach a replacement tooth (crown) to the abutment.
There are dental implant treatments called “All-on-4” or “All-on-6”. In these, a complete set of porcelain or acrylic teeth (denture) is held down by four or six dental implants.
Step 5: Assessment
Once the whole process is complete, your dentist will assess the fit and appearance. The lower and upper teeth should work well together when you bite.
Some additional Procedures
The jaw bone holds and supports the implants’ post. Some patients who lack a healthy jaw boneAAID Do I have enough bone? “It is important for a patient to have enough bone to support the implant. If you do not have enough bone, there are many safe and effective ways to correct bone deficiency.” View in Article may require to undergo the following to have implants fixed:
It is a surgical procedure to rebuild bones through bone tissue transplantation. Your dentist will graft bone-like material or bones onto your deteriorated jaw bone.
A dentist performs the sinus lift when your jawbone has lost its depth due to the loss of upper back teeth. A bone is inserted underneath your sinus to provide support.
Benefits of Dental Implants
- Dental implants are incredibly durable and last a lifetime with proper care.Cupertino Times The Durability of Dental Implants “As long as the patient is adequately maintained, dental implants can generally be durable as long as several decades. There are 40 cases of clinical use. In the long run, the cost performance is still very high.” View in Article
- The implants eradicate the requirement for adhesives to keep dentures in place.
- Dental implants give you the most natural-looking replacement for your lost teeth. The crowns can match the color of your natural teeth.
- The best thing about these implants is that they restore your full chewing power. They don’t have metal hooks that clamp onto the teeth.
- Dental implants, unlike tooth-supported bridges, don’t need to reduce other teeth to support the implant.AAID Implants versus dentures and bridges “Tooth-supported fixed bridge. The most common alternative to dental implants for a single tooth, fixed bridges involve grinding away – in other words, intentionally damaging – healthy adjacent teeth that are used to attach and support the bridge. Bridges generally fail after 5-10 years…” View in Article
- With ill-fitting dentures, your teeth can slip within your mouth, causing you to slur your words. With dental implants, you can confidently talk to others without worrying that your teeth might fall.Web-MD Advantages of Dental Implants “Improved speech. With poor-fitting dentures, the teeth can slip within your mouth, causing you to mumble or slur your words. Dental implants allow you to speak without the worry that teeth might slip.” View in Article
- Dental Implants may look expensive at first, but their overall benefits make them better than any alternative treatment.AAID The true cost of alternatives “From a purely financial perspective, dental implants are cost-competitive with other tooth replacement options over the long term. And when you also factor in quality of life and long-term oral health, dental implants clearly rank as the higher-value alternative.” View in Article
Best Dental Clinics in Cartagena
For affordable quality dental work in Cartagena, we recommend two clinics. Dentists here experience working with expats and international patients coming from all over the world.
Dentist Cartagena is equipped with state-of-the-art therapeutic and diagnostic technologies. It helps to provide better and error-free diagnosis and predictable treatment outcomes.
In addition to dental implants, Dentist Cartagena offers other dental services. These include plastic gum surgery, root canal treatment, veneers, and sedation dentistry.
Dr. Jairo Montoya is the chief dentist here. He is one of the English speaking dentists in Cartagena.
Centro de Implantes de la Costa, Cartagena
Centro de Implantes de la Costa is equipped with all the essential and latest hi-tech equipment. The experienced staff takes the time to explain the treatments, benefits, and lengths of each procedure to their patients.
Centro de Implantes de la Costa also offers other dental services. These include oral surgery, endodontics, cosmetic dentistry, oral rehabilitation, and smile design.
Dr. Julio Oliver Gonzalez is a well-known dentist at the clinic.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are dental implants painful?
- During the procedure: No pain due to local anesthesia.
- After the procedure: Once the anesthesia wears off, some discomfort is expected. However, most patients define the pain as moderate.
To paint a better picture, when asked to score on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the highest level of discomfort, most patients gave a value of 2-3.Dentaledu.tv How Painful are Dental Implants “if they had to rate the intensity of discomfort from 1 to 10 (10 being the level of agony or torture), they would give it a 2-3.” View in Article
What influences the cost of dental implants in Cartagena?
The cost of dental implants in Cartagena, Colombia, depends on many factors, including:
1. Type and material of dental implant, crown, and abutment
2. Manufacturer’s brand
3. The complexity of dental surgery
4. Number of teeth involved
5. Procedures such as scanner and x-ray
6. Additional techniques such as bone grafting and sinus elevation
Are dental implants in Cartagena, Colombia, safe?
Yes, getting dental implants in Cartagena is safe. It is because our dentists are well qualified and have an experience close to two decades at the least.
What is the success rate of dental implants in Cartagena?
Dental implants have a success rate of up to 98%.Web-MD How Successful Are Dental Implants? “Success rates of dental implants vary, depending on where in the jaw, the implants are placed but, in general, dental implants have a success rate of up to 98%.” View in Article However, the success rate of dental implants differs from person to person. With a hygienic routine, you can expect them to last longer.
You can fill out the request information form or connect here to know more about dental implants in Cartagena. Our case managers can help you find the best dental faculty and provide a free quote for the treatment.