Cartagena or “Cartagena de Indias” is located in Colombia. People looking for affordable dental work overseas should consider dental implants in Cartagena.
Video Courtesy: GetUp&Go Films
Cartagena, Colombia, has it all to serve your mouth. From quality dental work to relishing cuisines.
The seafood dishes accompanied by fried plantain and coconut rice are a must-try! 
Cost of Dental Implants in Cartagena
Patients can get dental implants for less than half the cost back home.
Compare the average cost of dental implants in Canada, US , and Cartagena in the table below:
|Bone graft (full arch)||$2,500||$2,400||$1,125|
|Bone graft (per quadrant)||$1,100||$1,100||$650|
|Bone graft (per unit)||$600||$550||$375|
*Price may vary with each case
As seen in the table, a single dental implant alone saves as much as 58% in Cartagena.
Even the full-mouth restorations, such as all on 4, are at least 65% less expensive.
Want to save up to 65% on dental implants?Contact us!
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are structures that serve as an artificial and safe replacement for the tooth root.
Dentists who specialize in implant dentistry are known as Implantologists.
Implantology is complex and is very detailed; however, some knowledge of structure, material, and type of implants can be of great use to the patient as well:
1. Dental Implant Structure
- Three standard parts of an Implant are the Crown, Abutment, and Fixture. (see image)
- ‘Screw’ is a term often used in the relative context. It is essentially a fixture designed like a screw.
Dental Implant Structure
2. Dental Implant Material
Titanium and zirconia are the two most common types of dental implant materials. 
Titanium Dental Implants
- Metal used: Titanium alloy, a combination of metals.
- Structure: Two pieces, a screw & an abutment.
Benefits of Titanium Dental Implants:
Zirconia Dental Implants
- Material: Zirconium dioxide, a non-metal or ceramic alternative.
- Structure: One-piece implant, fused screw & abutment.
Benefits of Zirocinia Dental Implants:
- Lower risk of gum infection
- No risk of a metal allergy
- Shorter surgery
3. Dental Implants Types
Dental implants are available in different materials, heights, and sizes.
Depending on your specific needs, your dentist can help you determine which option will work for you.
Based on the location where a dentist fixes the implant, they can be one of two types: 
- Location: Under your gum but above or on your jawbone.
- Possible Candidate: People who don’t have a sufficient healthy jawbone. Also, people cannot undergo a bone augmentation procedure.
- Location: Inside the Jawbone
- Possible Candidate: People with a naturally healthy bony ridge. Also, those who can undergo a bone augmentation procedure to reconstruct it.
Fixing Dental Implants: The procedure
Your dentist will develop an individualized treatment plan that will address your specific requirements.
The dentist will complete a comprehensive examination of your mouth.
He will take radiographs of your jaws to analyze your bone tissue’s condition and shape.
These images locate the positions of essential structures, such as nerves, which may be near the intended implant site.
Incision & drill
Your dentist will make a small incision in the gum to reveal the bone and create the implant site using a drill.
He will then fit the dental implant into the prepared bone and place a healing cap over it.
Incision & drill
Rest/ Healing break
The Implant site may take three months or longer to heal.
The implant should fuse with the patient’s jawbone in anytime between three and six months. This process is referred to as osseointegration.
Some patients may require a second minor surgery. The dentist will trim the gum tissue and expose the implant’s healing cap.
After three months (approximately), the dentist will replace the healing cap with the abutment. It is the equivalent of a post and core.
From here, the gums will take about six weeks to heal completely.
Placing Crown/ Denture
Once the gums heal entirely, a dentist will take impressions of your mouth to prepare a model of your teeth.
A custom crown (replacement tooth) will be fabricated. Lastly, the crown will be attached to the abutment.
Once the whole process is complete, your dentist will assess the fit and appearance.
The lower and upper teeth should work well together when you bite.
Some additional Procedures
The jaw bone holds and supports the implants’ post.
Some patients who lack sufficient healthy jaw bone  may require to undergo the following to have implants fixed:
It is a surgical procedure to rebuild bone through bone tissue transplantation.
Your dentist will graft bone-like material or bone in the area of the implant site to create more stability for the deteriorated jaw.
A dentist performs a sinus lift when your jawbone has lost its depth due to the loss of upper back teeth or natural anatomy.
Bone is inserted underneath your sinus to provide support.
Benefits of Dental Implants
✔️ Dental implants are incredibly durable and can last a lifetime with proper care. 
✔️ The implants eradicate the requirement for adhesives to keep dentures in place.
✔️ Dental implants give you the most natural-looking replacement for your lost teeth. The crowns will match the color and shape of your natural teeth.
✔️ The best thing about these implants is that they restore your full chewing power and have the most natural feel. They don’t have metal hooks that clamp onto the teeth.
✔️ Dental implants, unlike tooth-supported bridges, don’t need to reduce other teeth to support the implant. 
✔️ With ill-fitting dentures, your teeth can slip within your mouth, causing you to slur your words. With dental implants, you can confidently speak with others without worrying that your teeth might fall out. 
✔️ Dental Implants may seem expensive at first, but their overall benefits make them better than any alternative treatment. 
Best Dental Clinics in Cartagena
For affordable quality dental work in Cartagena, we recommend three clinics.
Dentists here experience working with expats and international patients coming from all over the world.
- Dentist Cartagena is equipped with state-of-the-art therapeutic and diagnostic technologies.
- It helps to provide better and error-free diagnosis and predictable treatment outcomes.
- In addition to dental implants, Dentist Cartagena offers other dental services. These include esthetic and therapeutic gum surgery, root canal treatment, veneers, and sedation dentistry.
- Centro de Implantes de la Costa is equipped with all the essential and latest hi-tech equipment.
- The experienced staff takes the time to explain the treatments, benefits, and lengths of each procedure to their patients.
- Centro de Implantes de la Costa also offers other dental services. These include oral surgery, endodontics, cosmetic dentistry, oral rehabilitation, and smile design.
- Sonrisa Perfecta dental clinic uses the latest technology coupled with skilled dentists to provide high-quality treatments to both local and international dental patients.
- The highly efficient dental team is composed of orthodontists, endodontists, and oral and maxillofacial surgeons.
- The treatments include implants, root canal treatments, children’s dentistry, teeth straightening, extractions, and other oral surgeries.
Here are the profiles of some of the best dentists in Cartagena from our recommended clinics:
Dr. Jairo Montoya is the chief dentist at Dentist Cartagena. He is one of the English speaking dentists in Cartagena.
Dr. Julio Oliver Gonzalez is a well-known dentist at Centro de Implantes de la Costa, Cartagena.
Dr. Tarsys Loayza is the chief dentist at Sonrisa Perfecta Dental clinic.
You can fill out the request information form or connect with us to know more about dental implants in Cartagena.
Our case managers can help you find the best dental facility and provide a free quote for the treatment.
Frequently Asked Questions
- During the procedure: No pain due to local anesthesia, only pressure.
- After the procedure: Once the anesthesia wears off, some discomfort is expected. However, most patients define the pain as mild to moderate.
To paint a better picture, when asked to score on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the highest level of discomfort, most patients gave a value of 2-3. 
The cost of dental implants in Cartagena, Colombia, depends on many factors, including:
1. Type and material of dental implant, crown, and abutment
2. Manufacturer’s brand
3. The complexity of dental surgery
4. Number of teeth involved
5. Diagnostic procedures such as scanner and x-ray
6. Additional treatments such as bone grafting and sinus elevation
Yes, getting dental implants in Cartagena is safe. Our dentists are well qualified and have nearly two decades of experience.
Dental implants have a success rate of up to 98%. 
However, the success rate of dental implants differs from person to person.
Implants are expected to last longer with a good hygiene routine and regular check-ups.