Video Courtesy: Once in a lifetime journeys
El Salvador is identified as Central America’s hidden gem.FTN News Hilton San Salvador to Open in July 2020 “Described as a hidden gem of Central America, San Salvador is surrounded by green-tipped volcanoes…” View in Article The country is considered one of the most attractive destinations for medical tourism. Furthermore, the cost factor has boosted dental tourism in El Salvador.Allied Market Research Dental Implants and Prosthetics Market “Growth in number of dental procedures cost plays a major role, which results into increased adoption of dental tourism. Countries, such as Mexico, Costa Rica, El Salvador, and India, are the most attractive destinations for medical tourism.” View in Article
El Salvador is popular for cheap dental implants with high quality and standard of care.US Dental Service How To Get A Cheaper Dental Implant? “Some of the popular destinations include Mexico, Costa Rica, El Salvador and Thailand. Getting dental implants in these countries can bring you substantial savings. The low price doesn’t necessarily mean low quality…” View in Article
Cost of Dental Implants in El Salvador
Americans and Canadians can save up to 70% by opting for dental implants in El Salvador. To know how much cheaper are the dental implant procedures in El Salvador, study the cost comparison table.
Dental Work Avg. Cost Comparison (USD)
|Implant denture(1 arch)||$2,200||$6,000||$5,500|
|Complete denture (one jaw)||$600||$2,000||$1,840|
|Simple bone grafting||$500||$1,200||$1,000|
|Sinus lift (one side)||$1,200||$2,500||$2,000|
The above table proves that El Salvador is a destination for cheap dental implants. A single dental implant saves as much as 80%. Even the All-on procedure is almost 8 times cheaper than the US and Canada.
Why Get Tooth Replacements in El Salvador?
Savings on High-quality Treatment
- High-quality dental implants at a fraction of the cost in the US.Allied Market Research Dental Implants and Prosthetics Market “The cost of dental implant in these countries is a fraction of the cost in U.S. Thus, a large patient pool opts for dental procedures outside of U.S. as they provide low cost procedures with high quality.” View in Article
- Approximately 35% of Americans do not have an insurance plan. As a result, more Americans opt for dental implants in El Salvador.Androit Market Research Tourism “The difference of more than 50% in the cost of a treatment makes traveling to another country beneficial. This scenario holds true for approximately 35% of the Americans that do not have an insurance plan.” View in Article
- Dental implants often require more than a single visit. Hence patients travel to nearby destinations.
- El Salvador is an ideal location for Americans as they prefer to go somewhere easily accessible from the US.ResearchGate Dental Tourism: Global Competition in Health Care “Americans choose to go somewhere easily accessible from the U.S, such as San Salvador or Tijuana” View in Article
- El Salvador is a beautiful tropical country with volcanic mountains, amazing beaches, and ancient Mayan sites.
- The place is a world surfing mecca for tourists. Surfing draws tourists from the US, Canada, Germany, and Brazil.Bangkokpost Surf’s up for poor kids seeking a better future in El Salvador “El Zonte on the Central American country’s coast is a world surfing mecca. Surfing draws tourists here from United States, the Netherlands, Canada, Brazil and Germany, and many have chosen to stay.” View in Article
- Dental professionals have degrees from some of the finest institutions in the U.S such as Baylor college, Texas.
- Many of our dental specialists spent years of private practice in the U.S.
- Our dentists can communicate efficiently in English and Spanish.
- Treatment by Board-Certified dentists (American Board of Prosthodontics and other American Board eligible).
FYI, a board-certified prosthodontist needs to:
- Complete a 4-part examination.
- Undergo recertification every 8 years.
- Continuously update the skills and advancement in the specialty.
- All dental supplies are directly sourced from the US
- Availability of high-end technology and modern equipment like
- The Ultrasonic bone surgery system
- L-PRF (Leukocyte-Platelet Rich Fibrin) technique
- Benexatraumatic extraction kit
- Dental Implant system
- Digital panoramic x-ray
- 3D CAD/CAM CEREC
- MOON RAY S 3D Implant surgical guides
- CS 8100 Compact Plug-and-Play Imaging system
- The quality of treatment follows international standards and stringent sterilization procedures. The clinic has:
- CE Certified Sterilizing equipment.
- Attest™ Biological Monitoring System.
- Autoclave and dry clave – comply with international biosecurity standards by the OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration)
Dental Implant Options
Dental implant procedures have increased by 6.3% during 2019-2020. 13 % of implant patients are 65 – 74 years of age.Trend Statistics Dental Implants Statistics 2019-2020 Dental implant procedures increased 6.3% 2019-2020. 13 percent of implant patients are 65 – 74 years of age View in Article
Dental implants are small screw-like metal posts that replace the root of a missing tooth. A standard dental implant has a diameter of 1.8 mm to 7 mm.NCBI Dental, Mini-Implants “Available implants vary in diameter from 1.8 mm to 7 mm.” View in Article
- If a single tooth is missing, it can be replaced with one implant and a crown.
Benefits of a Single-tooth Implant over a Dental Bridge
1. A single-tooth implant does not affect the adjacent teeth while a bridge does. Healthcentre.org.uk Compare Dental Implants “One benefit of having a single tooth implant rather than a bridge is that an implant does not require any adjustment to the surrounding teeth.” View in Article
2. It also preserves bone better than a dental bridge.Healthcentre.org.uk Compare Dental Implants “Another benefit of a single tooth implant over a dental bridge is that the bone is actually preserved better.” View in Article
Multiple Teeth Implant
- Used in partially edentulous patients
- When many teeth are missing, an implant-supported bridge and crown or partial denture can replace them.
Full Jaw/ Full Arch Dental Implants
Other names: Full mouth restoration, Full mouth rehabilitation, Full mouth reconstruction.
- Used in edentulous patients
- When all teeth on a jaw are missing, they can be fixed using any one of the below procedures Healthcentre.org.uk Full Jaw (Full Arch) Dental Implants ” This condition is known as being ‘edentulous’ and can be fixed by a variety of dental procedures. The most common and viable options are: Implant overdenture, Mini implant overdenture, Fixed restoration, Crown and bridge restoration...” View in Article
|Mini implant overdenture|
|Crown and bridge restoration|
These are required when the jawbone is not able to support dental implants. The procedures help to rebuild the bone. With this new strong foundation, implant-supported teeth can be fixed.
- The procedure increases the height, width, and thickness of the bone.Healthcentre.org.uk Additional Surgery with Dental Implants “Bone grafting- This is a procedure that can increase bone depth or thickness as well as height and width…” View in Article
- The gum is lifted to expose the area of the deformed bone.
- A bone or bone substitute is used to repair and build up the area.
- It is a common procedure to increase bone volume in the upper jaw.Healthcentre.org.uk Additional Surgery with Dental Implants “Sinus lifting- Sinus lifting is a common type of bone graft procedure used to increase the volume of bone…” View in Article
- It is also referred to as a bilateral lift.
- The sinus floor as well as the developing bone is lifted to secure implants.
Specialized Dental Implant Techniques
Depending on the jawbone health and patients’ specific needs, some alternative treatment options are performed. Options may include:
Mini Dental Implant (MDI)
The mini dental implant is a type commonly used to support a lower denture. It is typically half of the size of a regular dental implant. It is also known as a small or narrow diameter implant.
|Survival rate of 95.6% ||May fracture during placement |
|Less invasive procedure ||Can’t resist strong chewing forces |
|Immediate results ||Not suitable for fixing dentures to the upper jaw |
|Graftless procedure ||Not suitable for single-tooth replacement |
|Fast healing ||Multiple MDIs needed for effective support |
|Reduced risk of infection ||High risk of implant failure |
|Cost-effective ||Limited evidence for long-term survival |
|FDI approved ||Require adequate vertical bone |
References – NCBI Survival of Mini Dental Implants Used to Retain Mandibular Complete Overdentures: Systematic Review “The overall survival rate was 95.63%….” View in Article, AEGIS Mini Dental Implants: A Retrospective Analysis of 5640 Implants Placed Over a 12-Year Period “…lower cost procedures with immediate results, and shorter recovery time, dental rehabilitation techniques have been developed for minimally invasive, single-stage implant placement.Because of the flapless surgical technique most often utilized with mini implants,..” View in Article, Dental Implant Cost Guide Mini Dental Implants Cost & Prices Paid “They have been approved by the FDA for use..,..some implant dentists believe MDIs are less able to withstand substantial chewing forces .. MDIs still require a good amount of vertical bone as…” View in Article, NCBI Dental, Mini-implants “The potential for fracture of the implant during placement…,The limited scientific evidence about long-term survival…, The need for multiple implants because of the unpredictability …” View in Article, Healthcentre.org.uk Disadvantages of Mini-Dental Implants “…some sources claim that the procedure is not suited to supporting dentures mounted to the upper jaw…, There is always a risk that the implant procedure fails… are not useful supports for prosthetics replacing a single tooth, ….are not useful supports for prosthetics replacing a single tooth…” View in Article
- These are also called as Immediate load implants or teeth in a day.
- The implants and temporary teeth are fixed within 48 hours of surgery.Dental Implant Cost Guide Same-Day Dental Implants & Immediate Loading ” Nowadays immediate loading is becoming far more common, where the implants and temporary teeth are placed within 48 hours of implant surgery……” View in Article
|Instant teeth restoration ||High risk of implant failure |
|Single surgical procedure||Require skilled & experienced surgeon |
|No need to wear dentures ||Healing critical leading to loosening implant |
|No need for bone grafts||Risk of infection |
|Saves money & time ||Not possible with low jawbone structure |
References – Healthcentre.org.uk What is Immediate Loading Surgery? “…Immediate implant surgery refers to the full treatment in just one session …It removes the need for temporary tooth replacements… It may also work out to be cheaper than multiple sessions… There is also a greater risk of implant failure, If the titanium and bone tissue are not properly bonded the implant will be loose… strong healthy teeth and a wide, deep jawbone to support such a lot of work in one sitting…” View in Article,Dental Implant Cost Guide Same Day Dental Implants & Immediate Loading “It is also important that the implant surgeon has sufficient skills and experience…, The risk of infection remains in the longer term….” View in Article
All on Four is a unique treatment that provides a whole new set of teeth using only four implants per arch.
All on 4 is specifically designed to:
- Allow for immediate function.
- Avoid bone graft in over 95% of cases.Healthcentre.org.uk Bone Grafting with All-on-4 Dental Implants “Unlike other forms of dental implant, all-on-4 implants are unique in that in over 95% of cases no bone grafting is necessary.” View in Article
All on Four – Success, Survival and Complication Rates
|Rate of||Upper jawPubMed NCBI The All-on-4 concept for full-arch rehabilitation of the edentulous maxillae: A longitudinal study with 5-13 years of follow-up “Implant cumulative survival and success rate was 94.7% and 93.9%, respectively.,…biological complications was 7.8% at implant level. The incidence of mechanical complications was 58.8%…” View in Article||Lower jawPubMed NCBI The All-on-4 treatment concept for the rehabilitation of the completely edentulous mandible: A longitudinal study with 10 to 18 years of follow-up “All-on-4 : success rate-91.7% ; survival rate -93%; Biological complications-11.8%; Mechanical complications-36.7%” View in Article|
|Mechanical complications**||7.3%||36.7 %|
* Soft tissue reactions, bacterial infections, etc.
** Screw loosening/fracture, cement failure, etc.
Factors to Consider for All-on-4 Implant
The general considerations areLupine Publishers All-On-Four Treatment Concept in Dental Implants: A Review Articles “Factors to consider for all-on-4 implant are… Ability to achieve primary implant…No severe parafunctions… Indicated with a minimum bone width of 5mm…” View in Article
- Ability to achieve primary implant stability.
- No parafunctional habits such as bruxism, clenching.
- Indications in totally edentulous :
A. Upper jaw – Minimum bone width of 5mm and minimum bone height of 10mm from canine to canine.
B. Lower jaw – Minimum bone width of 5mm and minimum bone height of 8mm in between the mental foramina.
Benefits of All on 4
- High patient satisfaction due to immediate function and esthetics.Healthcentre.org.uk All on Four Dental Implants “The fact that all-on-4 implants can be applied on the same day has made the procedure much more attractive to many people…In addition to all this, modern dentures look extremely natural and are also very comfortable…” View in Article
- Beneficial for those with the thin jawbone.
- In the elderly, it can stop bone loss and preserve the jaw.
- Highly stable and efficient chewing.Healthcentre.org.uk</strong Discomfort with All-on-4 Implants “All-on-4 implants have many other advantages that work to complement the comfort and stability they offer…,….implants allow for a much broader diet as chewing is not as uncomfortable as it would be with traditional.” View in Article
- Minimal discomfort and successful implant design.
- Crowns and dentures fitted on to the all-on-4 are more long-lasting.Healthcentre.org.uk Why Would I Need All-on-4 Dental Implants? “Unlike some other measures, crowns and dentures fitted on to the all-on-4 are much more long lasting” View in Article
All–on-6 and All-on-8 Dental Implants
These are full-mouth reconstruction procedures performed in patients who have lost all their teeth in any jaw. This type of restoration involves placing six or eight implants in the jawbone.
Dental Implant material
The most common dental implant materials are Titanium and Zirconia. Both these materials are biocompatible, and considered safe.
Titanium Dental Implant
- FDA approvedBusinesswire FDA Approval Granted on New Titanium Dental Implant “Titanium is FDA approved” View in Article
- Made of pure titanium or its alloy (Aluminum, Vanadium, and Nickel)
- Two-piece implant
- Grey color
- High resistance to damageReferral md Factors Impacting Dental Implants Market Growth “High resistance to damage has made it the preferred material for dental implants.” View in Article
- Durable and lightweight
- Success rate of 97% and survival rate of 98.8%Clin Implant Dent Relat Res 10-year survival and success rates of 511 titanium implants with a sandblasted and acid-etched surface: a retrospective study in 303 partially edentulous patients “The present retrospective analysis resulted in a 10-year implant survival rate of 98.8% and a success rate of 97.0%” View in Article
Read here about Titanium drawbacks, how to overcome and diagnostic test to detect titanium allergy
Zirconia Dental Implant
- FDA approvedUS-Dental Tribune Zirconia implants: The future of oral implantology? “Since receiving FDA approval in 2011, zirconia implants have become increasingly popular.…” View in Article
- Also called a Ceramic implant
- Made of metal-free crystal material (Zirconium dioxide)
- Single-piece implant
- White color
To know which type of dental implant material suits you, click here
There are pros and cons to each type of material. Therefore, implant type is recommended depending on the patient’s goals and concerns.
Types of Dental Implants
The dental implants can be of two types based on the location where it is fixed.
- The implant is fixed into the jawboneAAID Types of implants and techniques “Endosteal: These dental implants are placed in the jawbone…” View in Article
- Most commonly used implantPerio.org Dental Implants “Endosteal (in the bone): This is the most commonly used type of implant” View in Article
- Used as an alternative to bridges or removable dentures.
- Implant rests on top of the jawbonePerio.org Dental Implants “Subperiosteal (on the bone):….” View in Article
- Do not need a healthy jawbonePerio.org Dental Implants “These types of implants are used for patients who are unable to wear conventional dentures and who have minimal bone height.….” View in Article
- Used for those who are unable to wear conventional denturesPerio.org Dental Implants “These types of implants are used for patients who are unable to wear conventional dentures and who have minimal bone height…” View in Article
Benefits of Dental Implants
- Easy to care for 
- Prevents bone loss
- Durable and permanent
- No embarrassing slippage
- Eat and chew with ease
- Do not disturb adjacent teeth
- Decrease sensitivity in nearby teeth
- Appear and behave like a natural tooth
- Prevents changes in the shape of the face
- Lower risk of cavities in adjacent teeth
- More natural and comfortable to use
- A trusted technique with a long-term success rate of 97%
References – Medical News Today What to know about dental implants “More comfortable than traditional dentures, Eat and chew with ease, Prevents bone loss, Decrease sensitivity in nearby teeth, Lower risk of cavities in adjacent teeth, Easy to care for…” View in Article,NCBI Dental Implants “A high success rate (above 97% for 10 years)….” View in Article
Who Qualifies for Dental Implants?
An ideal candidate must have
- One or more missing teeth
- Healthy gum tissuesPerio.org Dental Implants “Adequate bone in your jaw is needed to support the implant, and the best candidates have healthy gum tissues that are free of periodontal disease.” View in Article
- Fully developed bone tissue, over the age of 18EFP.org Are dental implants suitable for everyone? “But it is important that the patient’s bone tissue is fully developed, so they are not used in people younger than 18 years of age.” View in Article
- Adequate jawbone to support the implants or eligible for a bone graft
Who May not Qualify for Dental Implants?
- Young people with the jawbone in a growing stage
- Heavy smokersMedical News Today What to know about implants ” In some cases, dental surgeons refrain from operating on people with: heavy smoking habits…” View in Article
- Lack healthy jawbone and not eligible for bone graftingEFP.org When are implants not an option? “Implant therapy may not be possible if the jawbone is not wide enough to accommodate implants and bone grafting is not possible.” View in Article
- Bruxism, or teeth grinding habitsMedical News Today What to know about implants “In some cases, dental surgeons refrain from operating on people with: parafunctional habits, such as tooth grinding or clenching…” View in Article
- Received head or neck high-dose radiation treatmentNCBI Dental Implants “Relative contraindications-Diabetes, osteoporosis, parafunctional habits, HIV, AIDS, bisphosphonate usage, chemotherapy, irradiation of head and neck…” View in Article
- Diabetes, connective-tissue diseases, and immune deficienciesNCBI Dental Implants “Relative contraindications-Diabetes….Absolute Contraindication: Acute illness, uncontrolled metabolic disease, bone or soft tissue pathology/infection…” View in Article
Note – Even if you have one or more of the conditions above, you may still qualify for implants. It greatly depends on the recency and severity of the condition.
Best Dental Clinic in El Salvador
Lorenzana Dental Center in San Salvador, El Salvador offers a team of professionals who are well trained in dental implant rehabilitation. The clinic was recently renamed “Prostho- Implants”.
Dr. Rafael Lorenzana, Chief Dentist
Dr. Rafael has more than 30 years of experience in private practice and teaching in both El Salvador and the United States. He has attended many complex cases. Most importantly, he is the only certified prosthodontist practicing in Latin America.
International Accreditations and Certifications
- Certified by the American Board of Prosthodontics
- Fellow of the American College of Prosthodontists
- Certified by University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio
- Certified by the Medical University of South Carolina
FAQs Dental Implants in El Salvador
To know more about Dentistry in El Salvador, read: Dental work in El Salvador.
DentaVacation facilitates planning your trip for dental implants in El Salvador. For further information or a free quote, feel free to contact us!