Are you upset with your dentures or toothless jaw? Dental implants in Phnom Penh can be an affordable and safe way to end your dental woes. Phnom Penh, the capital city of Cambodia is the hub of Cambodia’s dental tourism.International Living Cambodia: The Kingdom of Wonder “Phnom Penh is currently the epicenter of Cambodia’s dental tourism industry with the largest establishments regularly…” View in Article
Medical tourists from Japan, Australia, and the Middle East countries choose Cambodia for dental care.Export.gov Healthcare Resource Guide: Cambodia “The dental market is gaining increased interest from medical tourists from developed countries such as Japan, Australia, and those in the Middle East.” View in Article Moreover, the landscapes, world heritage sites, and hospitality of Cambodia also draw more visitors to the country.Bangkok Post Cambodia bolsters the tourism sector with tax incentives, emphasizes human resource development moving forward “The landscapes, world heritage sites, and hospitality of Cambodia have drawn increasing numbers of visitors…” View in Article
Cost of Dental Implants in Phnom Penh
To know how cheap is the cost of dental implants in Phnom Penh, refer to the cost comparison table below
Dental Implant Avg. Cost Comparison (USD)
|Type of Implant||USA||Australia||Phnom Penh|
|Titanium Implant (MEGAGEN)||$5,000||$4,600||$1,000|
|Bone graft(full arch)||$3,000||$4,400||$1,500|
|Full Denture / Arch||$2,000||$1,500||$450|
*Price may vary with complexity of case
As seen in the table, a titanium dental implant in Phnom Penh is up to 80% cheaper compared to Australia and the US. When compared to the US, full-mouth restorations like All-on-4/6/8 costs only 1/3rd of the price back home.
On average, Americans and Australians can expect to pay 70% less than what they would in their home country. These prices are amazing for dental patients who may not have dental insurance.
Factors Affecting the Cost of Dental Implants
The cost of dental implant treatment depends on various individual factors, including:
Why Choose Dental Implants in Phnom Penh, Cambodia?
Low-cost and high-quality
- Phnom Penh is well known for its cheap and professional dental care.International Living Cambodia: The Kingdom of Wonder “…Phnom Penh has become well known for its price competitive yet highly professional dental services…” View in Article
- Dental implants cost up to 80 % less than the US and Australia. (Refer cost table)
- The clinic uses high-quality International dental implant brand such as MegaGen
- The Phnom Penh clinic dentists and staff can speak English and French.
- English is also widely spoken in Cambodia.EMIA.ORG Investing in Cambodia’s Phnom Penh “Khmer, the most popular and official language of the country is the main language; English and French are also widely spoken.” View in Article
Budget Travel Destination
- With the low cost of living, Cambodia is one of the easiest countries in the world to move to.International Living Thailand, Cambodia, and Malaysia: Three Great Destinations to Live in Southeast Asia “Cambodia: “One of the Easiest Countries in the World to Move to”. Like many ex-pats in Cambodia, I ended up in ‘the Kingdom of Wonder…” View in Article
- In addition, the low cost of food and lodging makes Cambodia a great budget travel destination
Best Tourist Destination
Cambodia is considered one of the best tourist destinations because The Star Cambodia named world’s best destination for tourists “Cambodia has won the Pacific Area Travel Writers Association’s (PATWA) International Travel Award for Best Destination… Cambodia won because of its rich heritage, public safety, and friendliness of its people…” View in Article
- The country has received the international travel award for the best destination.
- It has won the title because of its rich heritage, public safety, and people’s friendliness.
In the sub-districts of Phnom Penh, foreigners can getPhnom Penh Expat Choosing an area to live in Phnom Penh “In the best sub-districts, you can count on a solid foreigner-friendly infrastructure: Cheap and fast private internet connections…” View in Article
- Cheap and fast internet connections
- English-speaking assistance (for bills, water, security, etc)
- A lot of foreigner-friendly shops, restaurants, and bars
What is a Dental Implant?
Dental Implant Technology has emerged as a state-of-the-art tooth replacement solution.Medical Equipment & Automation magazine DENTAL IMPLANTS: Surgery, Advantages & Risks “Dental implant technology has become the state-of-the-art tooth replacement solution because of its benefits over earlier treatments.” View in Article
A dental implant is a prosthetic replacement for tooth roots. It is placed directly into the jawbone, replacing the missing tooth root.
Today, implants with attached crowns are the preferred method for treating tooth loss as they function the same as natural teeth.
- Made of titanium/ zirconia.
- It is drilled into the jawbone below the gum line.
- It acts as an artificial tooth root.
- Made of titanium or zirconia.
- It is screw-retained to the implant to hold the replacement teeth.
- In a one-piece implant, the abutment and the implant are fused.
Depending on the number of teeth being replaced, the restoration can be a
|Used only for single tooth replacement|
|Screwed or cemented to the abutment|
|Used for multiple teeth replacement in a row|
|Attached to 2 implants for support|
|Used for full jaw teeth replacement|
|Snapped into place over the abutment|
Timeline for a Dental Implant Process
Dental implant surgery typically requires 2 surgical procedures with an ideal jawbone. From the first consultation appointment to cementing the final crown, the implant procedure can take a minimum ofDental Implant Cost Guide Complete Dental implant Surgery Guide-What to Expect? “From the first consultation appointment to cementing the final crown, the procedure typically takes a minimum of 5 months for an implant…” View in Article
- 5 months for the lower jaw
- 6 months for the upper jaw
Note: If the jawbone does not have adequate thickness, additional procedures like bone grafting and sinus lifting are necessary. In that case, the total timeline can be a year or more.
Factors Determining the Timeline of Implant ProcessDental Implant Cost Guide Complete Dental implant Surgery Guide-What to Expect? “The implant procedure timeline also depends on the rate at which the patient heals, condition of the jawbone…” View in Article
Dental Implant Process
Dental implant surgery is a multi-stage outpatient procedure. The stages are as follows:
Stage1: Evaluation and Preparation
- A comprehensive oral examination is carried out.
- Full medical and dental histories are noted down.
- If eligible for the implant, diagnostic tests like X-rays, CT scans are taken.
- Photos and impressions of existing teeth are taken.
- The surgical guide is prepared using teeth impressions.
Stage2: Insertion of Implants
Implant surgery is performed in one or two stages, depending on your specific circumstances.
This procedure is performed when your jawbone has enough thickness to support the implants. In this procedure.
- Firstly, the implant is placed and covered with a healing cap that protrudes through the gum.
- After 3-6 months, a healing cap is replaced with a permanent abutment.
- A prosthetic tooth or crown is placed over the abutment.
Two-stage surgery is preferred when your jawbone quality is lower than the ideal. Most importantly, this procedure increases the chances of success in the low-bone structure.News-Medical.Net Dental Implant Techniques “Two-stage surgery is preferred when the bone density or quality is lower than ideal, as this type of procedure will increase the likelihood of success…” View in Article
- 1st surgery – The implant is placed with a cover screw on its top. The gum is then sewn over the screw while it heals.
- 2nd surgery – The implant is uncovered and the healing cap is attached. After the healing of the gums, the cap is replaced with the abutment. After that, the prosthetic tooth/crown is fixed over the abutment.
Stage3: Preparation of Restoration and Impression
- After the gums have fully healed (after about four to six weeks).
- A new impression of the mouth is taken.
- A teeth model is made.
- The permanent restoration is constructed on the model
Stage4: Fitting of Permanent Restoration
The permanent restoration is cemented or screwed onto the abutment over the dental implants. This completes your dental implant process and restores your ability to talk and eat normally.
If the X-rays show that your jawbone is not thick enough to support implants, several techniques can be used to rebuild bone. These include
- Bone or bone-like materials are placed into the gum line in a brief surgical procedure, then allowed to heal.
- Sources of bone graft material can be your bone, human cadaver bone, animal bone, or synthetic bone.
- A dentist performs small grafts while a specialist performs extensive procedures, several months before.Dental Implant Cost Guide Dental Bone Graft: Materials, Cost and Procedure “Small grafts can be performed by a dentist during implant surgery, while extensive procedures are usually performed by a specialist…” View in Article
- A bone graft is performed along with dental implant surgery for a single dental implant. While it is done separately for multiple implants.Dental Implant Cost Guide Complete Dental implant Surgery Guide-What to Expect? “Bone grafts can sometimes be done during the surgery to place the dental implant, but large grafts (more than 1 implant” View in Article
- Sinus lift surgery is performed to add bone to your upper jaw in the space between your molars and premolars.
- It is called sinus lift surgery because the sinus membrane is moved upward, or “lifted,” to make room for the bone.
- A dental specialist like an oral maxillofacial surgeon or a periodontist performs the procedure.
Factors Affecting the Cost of Bone Graft & Sinus Lift Procedures
|Procedure||Factors Affecting Cost|
|Bone graft Dental Implant Cost Guide Dental Bone Graft: Materials, Cost and Procedure “The cost of a bone graft depends upon a number of factors, including the size and shape of the area being worked on…” View in Article||Dimension of the area being worked on|
|Source material used|
|Place where the bone is harvested|
|Sinus lift Dental Implant Cost Guide Sinus Lift Surgery Cost, Complications & Recovery “Factors that affect the cost-Type of bone used (patient’s own bone, cadaver, cow, synthetic, etc.), Size and shape of the area…” View in Article||Dimension of the area being worked on|
|Type of bone used|
|Additional procedures such as X-rays & CT scans|
Types of Dental Implant
The type of dental implant is selected based on the below factorsHealthpedian.org Dental Implants: Types, Benefits, and Complications “The type of dental implant that is best suited for a particular patient will depend on various factors such as the location of the implant…” View in Article
- Location of the implant.
- Jawbone density or gums health.
- Type of restoration that the implant will support (e.g., crown, bridge, or denture).
Based on the location where the implant is fixed, they can be of 3 types
Endosteal or Endosseous Implant
- Placed inside the bone.
- Most common type.
- Types- Root form, Blade form, and Ramus-frame.
- Preferred for those with a healthy jawbone and eligible for a bone graft.
- Placed on the top of the bone.
- The oldest type of implant system.
- Preferred for those with the low jawbone and not eligible for a bone graft.
Transosseous / Transmandibular Implant
- Placed on the cheekbone.
- Highly invasive.
- Used only for the lower jaw.
- Preferred for limited bone structure.
Techniques for Placing Dental Implants
Depending on the health of your jawbone and your specific needs, your implantologist may suggest the different treatment options
All-on-4 Implants in Phnom Penh
- This technique is preferable for patients who need full-arch restoration.
- As the name suggests, 4 implants are placed into the jawbone to hold the full-arch restoration in place.
- Special abutments are used to place a temporary restoration on the same day.
All-on-6 and All-on-8 Dental Implants in Phnom Penh
- These are the full-mouth restoration procedures done in completely edentulous patients.
- It involves inserting straight 6 or 8 implants in the jawbone for a stable denture.
Immediate Loading Implants
- These are also called the same day implants or Teeth in a Day.
- In this procedure, a temporary tooth is placed during the same appointment as your dental implant placement.
- Above all, this technique is a good option for patients who have enough natural bone.
Mini Dental Implants
These are toothpick-sized implants, narrower than standard implants. They are also called small or narrow diameter implants.
- Primary use – To stabilize a lower denture
- Technique – Less invasive
- OutcomeAEGIS Mini Dental Implants: A Retrospective Analysis of 5640 Implants Placed Over a 12-Year Period “…successful than those supporting removable prostheses, having success rates of 94.7% and 88.4%, respectively…Patients 21 to 30 years of age had the highest rate of success at 95.8%… …mini dental implants were placed with an overall survival of 92.1%…” View in Article
- Success rate: 88.4 – 95.8%
- Survival rate: 92.1% (over 12 years)
Dental Implant is the only restorative technique that preserves and stimulates natural bone.Referral md Factors Impacting Dental Implants Market Growth “In addition, it is considered as the only restorative technique that preserves and stimulates natural bone” View in Article
Dental Implant Benefits
Among the available tooth replacement options, dental implants are considered to provide the highest benefits in terms of both advancement and patient satisfaction.Medical Equipment & Automation magazine DENTAL IMPLANTS: Surgery, Advantages & Risks “Among the available options for tooth replacements they can be considered as the highest among the lot in terms of both advancement and patient satisfaction…” View in Article
The Longevity of Dental Implants
In general, dental implants have a long-term success rate of 97%.NCBI Dental Implants “Dental implants have a number of advantages over conventional fixed partial denture.1) A high success rate (above 97% for 10 years)….” View in Article
However, implant failures are also common. Failure can be early or late. Further, studies reveal that the survival rate of dental implants depends on the below factors:J Int Soc Prev Community Dent. Factors Affecting the Survival Rate of Dental Implants: A Retrospective Study “However, failures in implants are also common. Failure rates are early failure and late failure… Age, length of implant, diameter of implant, bone quality, and region of implant are factors determining the survival rate of implants…” View in Article
|Factors||Less Implant Failure Rate||High Implant Failure Rate|
|Patient age||< 40 years||> 60 years|
|Length of implant||< 10 mm||> 11.5 mm|
|Diameter of implant||3.75 – 4.5 mm||< 3.75 mm|
|Bone quality||Type I bone||Type III bone|
|Region of implant||Anterior lower jaw||Posterior lower jaw|
Dentists’ Role in Implant Survival and Success Rates
According to the Journal of the American Dental Association (JADA), implant success rates tend to be higher when performed by a dental specialist.JADA Outcomes of implants and restorations placed in general dental practices “These results suggest that implant success rates in general practices may be lower than those reported in studies conducted in academic or specialist settings” View in Article
Therefore, the preferred method to provide implant treatment is by the combined work of 2 dental specialists who are highly skilled and experienced:Dental Implant Guide Does a dental implant specialist have specific credentials and expertise? “The team approach, involving a dental implant surgeon and a restorative dentist, both highly skilled and experienced, is the preferred way to provide implant treatment…” View in Article
- Oral Surgeon or Periodontist (Surgical specialist) – Performs dental implant surgery.
- Prosthodontist (Restorative dentist) – Designs and fabricates the replacement teeth.
- Each doctor focuses on his/her area of expertise, which ultimately benefits the patient.
Questions for a Dentist before Dental Implant Procedure
If you are searching for a professional to handle the procedure, here are a few questions to ask your dentist:
|Credential questions||Are you a general dentist or a dental specialist?|
|If a general dentist, which specialist will perform this procedure?|
|If a dental specialist, are you board-certified in your specialty?|
|Training related||What is the extent of your formal training in dental implant surgery?|
|How many implants do you fix weekly/monthly/annually?|
|What is your success rate of implants?|
|Procedure-specific||Which brand or type of implants do you use?|
|What type of warranty/guarantee do you offer for this procedure?|
|What is the proposed treatment plan for me?|
|General questions||What is the treatment duration – from placement to final restoration?|
|What are the risks associated with the procedure?|
|Ask to see before and after photos.|
Top Dental Clinic in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Pagna Dental Clinic, Phnom Penh
The clinic offers different specialties under one roof. They have Prosthodontist, Implantologist, Endodontists, Orthodontists, Pedodontists, Periodontists, and Oral surgeons.
Some highlights of the clinic are
- Modern clinic equipped with state-of-the-art technology.
- Located in the heart of Cambodia’s capital city, Phnom Penh.
- High-quality implants are available from Megagen, Germany.
- High experience serving international patients.
- English-speaking staff.
- Guarantees high-quality painless treatment.
- Easy appointments and open on weekends.
- The clinic has received a 4.9-star rating on google reviews.
Best Implantologist in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Dr. Pagna Song
Expertise: Implantology, Oral Surgery, Prosthodontics, Orthodontics, and Cosmetic Dentistry.
Education: Bachelor of Dental Sciences, Doctor of Dental Surgery, Diploma of Doctor of Dental Surgery
Languages: English and French
- Smile Design course
- eCligner training course
- Dental Implants – All-On-4 course
- Aesthetic Restoration “All-Ceramic and Porcelain Veneer Preparation”
- Basic Implant Surgery & Prosthodontics Course, Global Dental Supply
FAQs for Dental Implants in Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh offers you an economical solution to all your dental implant needs. DentaVacation can help in planning your trip for dental implants in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Get a free quote filling out this request form!