Dental Implants in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Are you upset with your dentures or toothless jaw? Dental implants in Phnom Penh can be an affordable and safe way to end your dental woes. Phnom Penh, the capital city of Cambodia is the hub of Cambodia’s dental tourism. 
All-on-4 Dental Implants in Phnom Penh
Medical tourists from Japan, Australia, and the Middle East countries choose Cambodia for dental care. 
Moreover, the landscapes, world heritage sites, and hospitality of Cambodia also draw more visitors to the country. 
Cost of Dental Implants in Phnom Penh
To know how cheap is the cost of dental implants in Phnom Penh, refer to the cost comparison table below.
Dental Implant Avg. Cost Comparison (USD)
|Type of Implant||USA||Australia||Phnom Penh|
|Titanium Implant with abutment (MEGAGEN)||$5,000||$4,600||$1,000|
|All-on-4 (per arch)||$24,000||$22,450||$8,000|
|All-on-6 (per arch)||$28,000||$27,000||$10,000|
|All-on-8 (per arch)||$35,000||$36,000||$12,000|
|Bone graft(full arch)||$3,000||$4,400||$1,500|
|Full Denture / Arch||$2,000||$1,500||$450|
*Price may vary with complexity of case
As seen in the table, a titanium dental implant in Phnom Penh is up to 80% cheaper compared to Australia and the US.
When compared to the US, full-mouth restorations like All-on-4/6/8 costs only 1/3rd of the price back home.
On average, Americans and Australians can expect to pay 70% less than what they would in their home country.
These prices are amazing for dental patients who may not have dental insurance or the insurance does not cover the implant procedures.
A low-cost dental implant is also available in Southeast Asian countries like the Philippines, Vietnam, India, and Thailand.
Your friends are saving ~ 80% on dental implants!Grab your deal!
Factors Affecting the Cost of Dental Implants
The cost of dental implant treatment depends on various individual factors, including:
Factors Affecting Dental Implant Cost in Phnom Penh
Why Choose Dental Implants in Phnom Penh, Cambodia?
Low-cost and high-quality
- Phnom Penh is well known for its cheap and professional dental care. 
- Dental implants cost up to 80 % less than the US and Australia. (Refer to cost table above)
The clinic uses high-quality International dental implant brands such as MegaGen.
- The Phnom Penh clinic dentists and staff speak English and French.
- English is also widely spoken in Cambodia. 
Budget Travel Destination
- With the low cost of living, Cambodia is one of the easiest countries in the world to move to. 
- In addition, the low cost of food and lodging makes Cambodia a great budget travel destination.
Best Tourist Destination
Cambodia is considered one of the best tourist destinations because: 
- The country has received the international travel award for the best destination.
- It has won the title because of its rich heritage, public safety, and people’s friendliness.
In the sub-districts of Phnom Penh, foreigners can get: 
- Cheap and Fast Internet Connections
- English-speaking assistance (for bills, water, security, etc)
- A lot of foreigner-friendly shops, restaurants, and bars
What is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is a prosthetic replacement for tooth roots. It is placed directly into the jawbone, replacing the missing tooth root.
Today, implants with attached crowns are the preferred method for treating tooth loss as they function the same as natural teeth.
- Made of titanium/ zirconia
- It is drilled into the jawbone below the gum line
- It acts as an artificial tooth root, supporting the restoration
- Made of titanium or zirconia
- It is screw-retained to the implant
- In a one-piece implant, the abutment & implant are fused
Depending on the number of teeth being replaced, the restoration can be a:
It is used only for single tooth replacement and attached to the abutment
It is used for multiple teeth replacement and attached to 2 implants
It is used for full jaw teeth replacement and snapped into place over the abutment
Timeline for the Dental Implant Process
Dental implant surgery typically requires 2 surgical procedures with an ideal jawbone.
From the first consultation appointment to cementing the final crown, the implant procedure can take a minimum of: 
- 5 months for the lower jaw
- 6 months for the upper jaw
Factors Determining the Timeline of Implant Process
Source: Dental Implant Cost Guide 
Dental Implant Process
Dental implant surgery is a multi-stage outpatient procedure. The stages are as follows:
Evaluation and Preparation
Stage1: X-ray | Dental Implants in Phnom Penh
- A comprehensive oral examination is carried out
- Full medical and dental histories are noted
- Diagnostic tests like X-rays and/or, CT scans are taken to determine if the patient is a good candidate for implant placement
- Photos and impressions of existing teeth are taken
- A surgical guide is prepared using models from impressions of the patient’s arches
Insertion of Implants
Implant Options | Dental Implants in Phnom Penh
Implant surgery is performed in one or two stages, depending on your specific circumstances.
This procedure is performed when your jawbone has enough thickness to support the implants.
In this procedure.
- Firstly, the implant is placed and covered with a healing cap that protrudes through the gum
- After 3-6 months, a healing cap is replaced with a permanent abutment
- A prosthetic tooth or crown is placed over the abutment
Two-stage surgery is preferred when your jawbone quality is less than ideal.
More importantly, this procedure increases the chances of success in the low-bone structure. 
- 1st surgery – The implant is placed with a cover screw on its top. The gum is then sutured over the screw while it heals.
- 2nd surgery – The implant is uncovered and the healing cap is attached. After the healing of the gums, the healing cap is replaced with the abutment. After that, the temporary prosthetic tooth/crown is fixed over the abutment.
Taking of Impression and Preparation of Restoration
Dental Impressions | Dental Implants in Phnom Penh
- After the gums have fully healed (about four to six weeks)
- New impressions of the mouth are taken and a shade is selected for the final restoration
- Models of the teeth model are made
- The permanent restoration is constructed on the models
Fitting of Permanent Restoration
After Restoration | Dental Implants in Phnom Penh
The permanent restorations are tried in the patient’s mouth and adjusted so the bite is comfortable.
Then they are cemented or screwed onto the abutment over the dental implants.
This completes your dental implant process and restores your ability to talk and eat normally.
If the X-rays show that your jawbone is not thick enough to support implants, several techniques can be used to rebuild bone. These include:
- Bone or bone-like materials are placed into the gum line in a brief surgical procedure, then allowed to heal.
- Sources of bone graft material can be your bone, human cadaver bone, animal bone, or synthetic bone.
Sinus Lift | Dental Implants in Phnom Penh
- A dentist performs small grafts while a dental specialist performs extensive grafting procedures. 
- Bone grafts are sometimes performed along with dental implant surgery. However, large grafts are done in a separate procedure beforehand. 
- Sinus lift surgery is performed to add bone to your upper jaw in the space above your molars and premolars.
- It is called sinus lift surgery because the sinus membrane is moved upward, or “lifted,” to make room for the bone.
- A highly trained dental professional or a dental specialist like an oral maxillofacial surgeon or a periodontist performs the procedure.
Factors Affecting the Cost of Bone Graft & Sinus Lift Procedures
|Procedure||Factors Affecting Cost|
|Bone graft ||Dimension of the area being worked on|
|Source material used|
|Place where the bone is harvested|
|Sinus lift ||Dimension of the area being worked on|
|Type of bone used|
|Additional procedures such as bone graft, X-rays & CT scans|
Types of Dental Implants
The type of dental implant is selected based on the following factors: 
- Location of the implant
- Jawbone density or gum health
- Type of restoration that the implant will support (e.g., crown, bridge, or denture)
Based on the location where the implant is fixed, they can be of 3 types.
- Placed inside the bone
- Most common type
- Preferred for those with a healthy jawbone and eligible for a bone graft
- Placed on the top of the bone
- The oldest type of implant system
- Preferred for those with less jawbone who are not eligible candidates for a bone graft
- Placed on the cheekbone or the lower jaw (arch dependant)
- Highly invasive
- Preferred for limited bone structure
Techniques for Placing Dental Implants
Depending on the health of your jawbone and your specific needs, your implantologist may suggest different treatment options.
All-on-4 Implants in Phnom Penh
- This technique is preferable for patients who need full-arch restorations
- As the name suggests, 4 implants are placed into the jawbone to hold the full-arch restoration in place
- Special abutments are used to place a temporary restoration on the same day, depending on your case.
All on 4 Implants in Phnom Penh
All-on-6 and All-on-8 Dental Implants in Phnom Penh
- These are the full-mouth restoration procedures done in completely edentulous patients (patients who are missing all of their teeth).
- It involves inserting 6 or 8 implants in the jawbone to retain a stable denture.
All on 6 Implants In Phnom Penh
Immediate Loading Implants
- These are also called the same day implants or Teeth in a Day.
- In this procedure, a temporary tooth is placed during the same appointment as your dental implant placement.
- Above all, this technique is a good option for patients who have enough natural bone.
Mini Dental Implants
These are small implants that are narrower than standard implants.
They are also called small or narrow diameter implants.
- Primary use – To stabilize a lower denture
- Technique – Less invasive comparatively
- Success rate: 88.4 – 95.8%
- Survival rate: 92.1% (over 12 years)
Mini Dental Implants in Phnom Penh
Dental Implant Benefits
Among the available tooth replacement options, dental implants are considered to provide the most benefits in terms of patient satisfaction. 
Longevity of Dental Implants
In general, dental implants have a long-term success rate of above 97% for ten years. 
However, implant failures are also possible. When an implant “fails” it means that it was unable to fuse with the jaw.
The success of the implant depends on its immobility after fusing with the bone.
When it fails, the implant becomes loose and wobbly. Reasons for implant failure can be:
- Infection of the gums (peri-implantitis)
- Infection on the implant site post-surgery
- Excessive chewing forces
- Inadequate/unhealthy bone
- Poor implant placement/excessive heat during surgery
- Improper aftercare, etc.
Failure can be early or late. Further, studies reveal that the survival rate of dental implants depends on the below factors. 
|Factors||Less Implant Failure Rate||High Implant Failure Rate|
|Patient age||< 40 years||> 60 years|
|Diameter of implant||3.75 – 4.5 mm||< 3.75 mm|
|Bone quality#||Type I bone||Type III bone|
|Region of implant||Anterior lower jaw||Posterior lower jaw|
#Type 1 bone – Homogenous compact bone; Type 3 bone – A thin cortical bone surrounding a core of dense trabecular bone.
Dentists’ Role in Implant Survival and Success Rates
The ideal method to provide implant treatment is by the combined work of 2 dental specialists who are highly skilled and experienced: 
- Oral Surgeon or Periodontist (Surgical specialist) – Performs dental implant surgery.
- Prosthodontist (Restorative dentist) – Designs and fabricates the replacement teeth.
- Each doctor focuses on his/her area of expertise, which ultimately benefits the patient.
Nonetheless, with recent advances, each of these specialists/general dentists can perform all the procedures with a good success rate.
Provided they have the experience and the training for them. Thus, it is not always necessary that you need a separate dentist for each procedure.
Questions for a Dentist before Dental Implant Procedure
If you are searching for a professional to handle the procedure, here are a few questions to ask your dentist:
- Are you a general dentist or a dental specialist?
- If a general dentist, which specialist will perform this procedure?
- If a dental specialist, are you board-certified in your specialty?
- Which brand or type of implants do you use?
- What type of warranty/guarantee do you offer for this procedure?
- What is the proposed treatment plan for me?
- What is the treatment duration – from placement to final restoration?
- What are the risks associated with the procedure?
- Do you have before and after photos of cases you have done?
Top Dental Clinic in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Pagna Dental Clinic
Some highlights of the clinic are
- Modern clinic equipped with state-of-the-art technology
- Located in the heart of Cambodia’s capital city, Phnom Penh
- High-quality implants are available from MegaGen, Germany
- High experience serving international patients
- English-speaking staff
- Guarantees high-quality painless treatment
- Easy appointments and open on weekends
- The clinic has received a 4.9-star rating on google reviews
Best Implantologist in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
ExpertiseImplants, All on 4/6/8, Veneers
- Certifications - Smile Design, eCligner
- Dental Implants – All-On-4 certified
- Aesthetic Restoration “All-Ceramic and Porcelain Veneer Preparation”
- Basic Implant Surgery & Prosthodontics Course, Global Dental Supply
For certified dentistry, trust Pagna Dental!Contact clinic
Phnom Penh offers you an economical solution to all your dental implant needs.
DentaVacation can help in planning your trip for dental implants in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
Yes, the Cambodia dentist prices for implants are 5 times cheaper than the US.
Yes, you can. The clinic sources dental implants from the MegaGen company, one of the world leaders in dental implants.
Yes, the clinic charges $10 to $25 as a consultation fee.
To ensure patient safety
- The clinic uses autoclave for the dental equipment
- The treatment rooms are regularly cleaned and disinfected to prevent cross-contamination
Yes, the clinic offers same-day Implants or Immediate loading Implants. However, the treatment depends on your dental health.
The clinic accepts payments through cash (local currency), bank transfers (Local Banks only), Visa, and Master Cards.
Yes, the clinic can help with submitting paperwork for dental insurance.
However, you have to pay upfront for treatment prior to receiving approval from the insurance company.
In general, every case is unique and everyone heals differently.
Your dentist will be able to provide an estimate of how much chair time to expect. In the Phnom Penh clinic
- The single dental implant procedure takes an average of 3 days
- Full mouth restorations like (all-on 4/6/8) take a maximum of 10 days (depending on the cases severity)
General dentists do perform dental implant surgeries.
However, the success rate of dental implants is higher when performed by the dental specialist as compared to general dentists. 
Yes, with a success rate of above 97% for ten years,  dental implants are considered safe for eligible patients.
However, there can be complications, as is the case with any medical procedure.
Most importantly, choosing a skilled, well-trained implant dentist will help reduce complications.
It also ensures skillful handling of any problems, should they arise. 
Yes, children can get implants. The implant placement requires a fully developed jaw.
As such, girls can have implants placed at age 16 and boys can have them placed around 18 years of age.
After the surgery, you can start brushing your teeth but avoid cleaning the site of the surgery for the first 2 days.
During the first week: 
- Use a toothbrush with softer bristles.
- Rinse your mouth with warm saltwater.
- After eating, rinse with antiseptic.
- Use an antiseptic mouthwash, three times a day.
Generally, in 5% of cases, the body rejects the implant with an unknown cause. 
However, we can identify the implant failure with the below signs: 
- Severe pain or discomfort
- Difficulty while chewing
- Gum inflammation
- Gum recession around the implant
- Swelling in gums
- Loosening of the implant
Some of the popular tourist attractions in Phnom Penh are:
- Royal Palace
- Cambodia National Museum
- Killing Fields of Choeung Ek
- Tuol Sleng Museum
- River Boat Cruises
- Wat Phnom and Wat Ounalom