Are you ready to explore the world's salsa capital for dental work? In that case, check out Colombia's travel requirements before you pack your bags!
Colombia is a gateway to South America that takes you from Caribbean sands to coffee-strewn hilltops.
What a Scenic View in Colombia!
How to Reach Colombia?
We want you to choose the easiest route to travel to Colombia from the US and Canada.
Flying to Colombia is relatively safe and easy. Here's what you need to know!
- 5 international airports in prime cities - Bogota, Cartagena, Cali, Medellin, and Barranquilla
- Cheaper Airlines: Avianca, American Airlines, or Continental Airlines
- For direct flights to Cali, Medellin, and Cartagena from the US - TACA and LAN Airlines
- Budget airline within Colombia - Viva Colombia
✍️ Please Note: If your airline does not include departure tax, you may have to pay it at the airport (exact amount in USD or Colombian Pesos).
All international travelers must pay US$33 if staying for one month or less.
A road journey to Colombia might begin from Venezuela or Ecuador.
Take a bus/car to Cucuta, the major city near the border.
Cross the border from Tulcan to reach the next stop at Ipiales.
Once you have crossed the borders, get on a local bus or internal flight to your next dental destination.
Avoid high-risk border areas, including: 
❌ Within 100 km of the border with Panama
❌ The Port of Tumaco and the city of Buenaventura
❌ Within 50 km of the border with Venezuela, excluding Cucuta city
❌ Within 50 km of the border with Ecuador, excluding the Ipiales border crossing
Besides the air and land route, you can also book the cruise company's services to Cartagena from the USA.
Colombia Travel Requirements
Is your itinerary to Colombia ready? We want you to have a safe and pleasant trip.
So, let’s take a quick look at the Colombia travel requirements before you leave.
Travel Essentials | Passport & Visa
- Keep a US passport with 6 months validity
- Always carry proof of return (ticket back home).
- Don’t exceed the currency limit of 10,000 USD.
- Have at least one blank passport page for the entry stamp unless enrolled in Migración Automática.
- Visa is not required for tourists or business stays of 90 days or less or cumulative stays equal to or less than 180 days.
Source: travel.state.gov 
Who Needs a Visa to Colombia?
Colombia’s visa policy is relaxed. It allows visa-free entry to citizens from most of the:
- New Zealand
However, a few nationals from Africa, Asia, and the Middle East visiting Colombia might need a visa. Permission for a 90-day stay is granted upon arrival.
Is There a Medical Visa Available for Colombia?
Yes, there is a medical visa for Colombia. But you can always visit Colombia on a tourist visa for dental work.
However, foreign tourists who require lengthy medical treatments (of more than 6 months) can request a medical visa.
It is a V-type visa granted by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for 2 years.
You must meet the following requirements to access it:
- Valid passport with at least 2 blank pages
- Document showing confirmed immigration status
- 1 photo 3*4cm with white background
- Documents issued by the Colombian Authority supporting medical needs
- A letter including the reason for the trip & full identification signed by the applicant
- Bank statement before a visa application
The special temporary visa for medical treatment may cost you USD 300, excluding government visa fees. 
Colombia Travel Restrictions
Rules and regulations to prevent any serious outbreaks can change anytime. Therefore, it’s necessary to check the rules in soon-to-transit places.
For example, yellow fever is prevalent in South America, so vaccination is required for most travelers. 
Also, you can follow standard protocols to avoid COVID-19, another reason posing restrictions in Colombia.
Your travel insurance must cover medical evacuation in case of altitude sickness. You may feel symptoms when visiting Bogota (above 2500m).
Dial 123 from any mobile phone or land line for emergency services in Colombia. 
Yes, you can request an extension of up to 90 more days from the Colombian immigration authority (Migración Colombia). 
Make sure you do this before your stay expires.
We hope these Colombia travel requirements will simplify the process for you.
Also, DentaVacation can prepare a ready-to-go trip to Bogota, Cartagena, Cali, Medellin, or Barranquilla.
Admire the colonial charm of Colombia!Plan your trip!