With the popularity of dental implants reaching far and wide, they are largely becoming the treatment of choice for missing teeth. Implants, since being introduced, have enjoyed a high success rate, but failures are not uncommon. The success of an implant requires efforts both from the dentist and the patient.[singlepic id=72 w=320 h=240 float=right]
While good skills of the dentist are imperative in successful implant placement, patient’s compliance is also a major factor for the success of a dental implant surgery.
Dental implants surgery is an expensive procedure and post surgery care is necessary to keep the implants well maintained. Many patients are not even able to get them because of their expensive price tags. However, in the past few years such patients who have been looking for affordable solutions, found their answers in Dental Tourism. Thousands of medical tourists go for teeth implants in India, Thailand and Mexico not only for the ‘cost factor’ but also for high quality treatment.
Getting the surgery done is only a part of the implant procedure; it is not complete till the implant is fully integrated with the bone.
You must clearly discuss the post-operative care instructions with your dentist before leaving the office, and make sure they are nicely followed.
The following points should be kept in mind for post care of dental implants:
- The gauze pad that is placed over the surgical site must be kept in place until the bleeding stops. The pads may be changed after sometime, but if the bleeding persists even after a 24 hours, you must consult your doctor.
- Take your medications on time. You will be given antibiotics, painkillers, as well as antibiotic mouth rinses, which must be carefully used as instructed.
- Avoid aspirin, as it interferes with healing process.
- Ice packs/ packs of frozen peas can be used to elevate swelling.
- Although it is a minor surgery, try to avoid all strenuous activities for a few days.
- Take plenty of liquid in your diet, take juices and yogurt; avoid hard food stuffs.
- Also, eat slowly, avoid sucking and do not take very hot foods/liquids.
- Do not disturb the surgical site at all. Avoid touching the implant site with your tongue or by putting anything in your mouth.
- Do not smoke, and avoid alcohol for sometime.
- Maintaining oral hygiene is very important. You may brush and floss your teeth, but go easy as you approach the surgical site. Rinse it with warm water to avoid lodgment of any food particles/ debris.[singlepic id=71 w=320 h=240 float=right]
- Warm saline rinses must be frequently done to maintain decent hygiene and avoid infection. One teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water should be used to rinse your mouth atleast 3-4 times a day, or as instructed by the doctor.
- Undue pain, nausea, fever, vomiting or any signs of infection must be immediately reported to the doctor.
- Do not delay your next appointment at the dental office, which may be after 10-15 days for removal of sutures.
If the post-care instructions are meticulously followed, without making any undue compromise on your health, your dental implant should easily become a success.