Dental tourism in Jordan is one of the fastest growing subsets of medical tourism in the Middle Eastern country. A number of Europeans and West Asians flock to Jordan to undergo low cost dental treatments. The phenomenon of dental vacation in Jordan has received a boost with the mushrooming of state-of-the-art hospitals and clinics throughout the country providing pocket-friendly treatments.
What is Dental Tourism?
- Dental tourism is a neologism which involves patients leaving the confines of their home countries to get affordable dental care abroad. A dental trip may also be accompanied with a vacation.
- This new phenomenon of combining dental care with vacationing has become extremely popular in many of the First World countries such as the US, the UK, Australia and Canada, where the cost of dental work can burn a huge hole in the pocket.
- Here are some statistics that throw light on the increasing trend of Americans flocking abroad for treatments:
- According to the US National Coalition on Health Care, more than 500,000 Americans headed off to distant lands to receive medical and dental treatment in 2006.
- As per the 2008 Deloitte report titled Medical Tourism – Consumers in Search of Value, the number of outbound American medical tourists was expected to reach the six million mark by 2010.
- Long waiting times before getting treated also prompt patients to throng the leading dental tourism destinations such as Jordan, India, Costa Rica and Mexico for dental implants, bridges, crowns, bone grafting, smile makeovers and a host of other procedures.
Factors that Give Boost to Dental Tourism in Jordan
According to the Private Hospitals Association of Jordan, nearly 250,000 people from 84 different countries were treated in 2007 in the Kingdom. Further the association states that the number of medical and dental tourists converging on Jordan has been increasing at the rate of 10% per year.
Dental tourism in Amman and other parts of Jordan comes with a lot of advantages, some of which are discussed below:
- The extremely attractive costs of dental procedures in Jordan, which come to as low as 30% to 70% of the costs in the US, make the country the destination of choice for many.
- Another key reason for the spurt in the number of people seeking dental treatments in Jordan is the high quality of dental care. Be it getting a full mouth restoration, bonding, white fillings, or dental implants in Jordan, almost all of the treatments are of comparable quality as found in the West.
- Most of the hospitals and dental clinics in Jordan are equipped with advanced technology and equipment and adhere to globally-recognized hygiene and safety norms. As in December 2011, there were 11 JCI-accredited hospitals in Jordan.
- Many of the dental professionals in the reputable hospitals in Jordan are highly qualified and quite a few of them have undergone training in the United Kingdom.
- The high level of expertise offered by the well-known dentists in Jordan has been drawing a stupendous number of patients from abroad.
- Communication gaps are minimal. Though the lingua franca of Jordan is Arabic, English as a second language is widely spoken too.
- No wait time involved is another upside to seeking dental treatments in Jordan.
- The geographical proximity of Jordan is an added advantage for people from West Europe and other parts of the Middle East.
Dental Vacation in Jordan
- A dental trip to Jordan can be doubled up as an invigorating vacation.
- Getting to Jordan is quite easy. One can travel to the Kingdom either through air, sea, rail or road.
- The country’s rich culture combined with its major tourist attractions has lured travelers from all the nooks and crannies of the world.
- Jordan is known for its historical sites such as the world-famous Petra, which was recently crowned as one of the New Seven Wonders of the World, the Jordan River, Madaba, as well as the Crusader Castle at Karak and numerous medieval mosques and churches.
- The Lawrence of Arabia theme tours are also popular with both cinephiles and those with itchy feet.
Many patients have reposed confidence in dental tourism in Jordan, primarily because one can avail quality treatments without burning a hole in the pocket. Besides, if you are game for a holiday, Jordan has many fascinating sights to offer too!
DentaVacation facilitates affordable dental treatments at various destinations across the world. For more information, submit the estimate-request form on the right.