Dental tourists to Costa Rica may find themselves faced with an intimidating number of treatment options. Investigating Costa Rica dentist reviews can be a good way to plan your trip with confidence and security.
According to an article by Matt Levin published on The Tico Times on June 15, 2012, “of the tens of thousands of medical tourists who visit the country each year, 40 percent come to undergo dental procedures” in one of the several international dental clinics in Costa Rica.
With a wealth of qualified dentists, dental surgeons and specialists in the country, unbiased reviews of Costa Rica dental services may be the best way to determine which clinic is best for you.
Dental Facilities in Costa Rica – What to Look For?
Medical tourists should expect the same from dental facilities in Costa Rica as they would in the United States, Canada, or Europe. Look for the following as you browse Costa Rica dentistry reviews:
- Clinics should use advanced dental technology and material, including zirconium for dental crowns, which has been praised in a 2010 study by the University of Toronto for its “non-allergenicity, corrosion resistance, and good aesthetics.”
- International accreditations, such as those with PROMED and the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities (AAAASF) are a good indication that the facility adheres to a level of professional and hygienic quality.
- Many Costa Rica dental team testimonials mention special perks for accommodating out-of-town patients, including exclusive airport service or an international patient’s center.
- Look for facilities that specialize in the kind of treatment you need; for example, searching for a Costa Rica dental implants testimonial will give you more focused and relevant results to help you plan a trip for dental implants.
Benefits of Dental Tourism in Costa Rica
Most Costa Rica dentist reviews highlight the lower cost of dentistry in the country. Cost-saving dental packages, such as those for a full mouth restoration, are a common and popular option. Even if you are only traveling for a single procedure, you may be able to save as much as 60% compared to treatment in more developed countries.
While low prices are the primary reason for dental tourism, what is often overlooked in dental work in Costa Rica reviews is the added value of spending time in a unique and diverse tourist destination. Costa Rica offers many activities that will appeal to patients, families and seasoned travelers alike, from zip-lining through the cloud forest, to lounging on the white sand beaches of Manuel Antonio National Park, to hiking to the base of the majestic Arenal Volcano.
Planning Your Trip to Costa Rica – Tips
- Most Costa Rica cosmetic dentistry reviews will be of facilities in San Jose, the country’s capital. San Jose hosts the country’s largest international airport, and is an ideal point of entry for dental tourists.
- Costa Rica’s currency is the Colon (₡); ATMs are widely available in the capital, so be sure to have cash on hand, as few places accept credit cards or traveler’s checks.
- Spanish is the country’s official language, though many people in the tourism and medical industries will speak some English as well; it is important to note while reading Costa Rica periodontal dentists reviews whether or not the patient had any difficulty communicating with their practitioner.
- The climate of Costa Rica varies with its diverse geography; be prepared for rain and humidity, as well as cooler nights in the country’s more mountainous areas.
- Many Costa Rica dentist testimonials fail to mention that travel will be required to see some of the country’s famous tourist sites, most of which lie outside of San Jose. Be sure to plan your trip and your treatment accordingly.
According to a New York Times article by Camille Sweeney published on February 7, 2008, “medical tourism has been an increasingly popular alternative[…] for middle-class Americans willing to travel to secure affordable health care.”
With no immediate end in sight to the constantly-rising cost of dental care, more and more people are looking abroad for healthcare solutions. The wealth of Costa Rica dentist reviews available online are an excellent place to begin deciding whether or not a dental vacation is right for you.
Submit the free request quote form on the right for more information on Costa Rica Dentists.